Monday, November 16, 2015

Simon Says Stamp DIY Glittered Acorns with Sizzix Stitchlits


Happy Monday! It's time to get crafty with another challenge at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog.

This week the challenge is to create something inspired by Thanks/Thanksgiving.
I made glittered acorns!




It's fun to make little decor items to have around the house on holidays such as Thanksgiving. I love it when my adult son picks it up and says, "Mom, this is cool. Did you make this"? He's such a sweetie. I have a few tips for you if you want to make some oversized glittered acorns for yourself.
After Easter, I went to my local craft shop and purchased all of the little styrofoam eggs that were on clearance. They carry paper mache eggs year round, but they are so much cheaper in the Spring. I've been wanting to do this project for months, but I dreaded cutting all that felt for the acorn caps. I used one of the new Sizzix Stitchlits dies to cut the felt instead. So easy! I never would've been able to cut all of those felt pieces by hand. It makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it!
Before I started, I painted the styrofoam eggs brown. This step isn't really necessary, but if the glitter wears off, it's nice to have a color show through instead of the white. Glue tips...never use hot glue on styrofoam...it melts! Use white glue instead. It's strong and dries clear. But with the felt, never use white glue. It shows through when it's dry. Instead, use Zip glue. It's strong and doesn't seep into the fibers.

I used about 20 pieces of felt per egg. I started at the bottom and glued the felt pieces around in a circle until I reached the top. So easy!

I love the way the glitter glistens.

We would love for you to play along. Create Something inspired by Thanks/Thanksgiving and link your project to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. You could win a $50 gift voucher to Simon Says Stamp. We draw a new winner each week!

Your project could also be chosen for our designer spotlight. It's nice to get some recognition. 
You deserve it!

14 comments:

  1. I would have never guessed eggs! Brilliant pine cones and the felt toppers are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! these aww fabulous Michelle! what a brilliant idea!! I need to find me some eggs now! :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic pinecones, clever idea to use the eggs combined with the Stitchlits die. Love them. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Michelle, these are just cool! Brilliant to cut the felt with the die! Now, that is thinking outside of the box :) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Glitter acorns?! Yes, please! These are fabulous, Michelle!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your glitter acorns are absolutely stunning Michelle!! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhhhh these are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous work! This glitter is incredible! I want it! Thanks for your wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love...LOVE these little glittery beauties, Michelle! They are just gorgeous and I love that they began life as Easter eggs! I think I need to make some of these!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a fun and beautiful creation! Love the gorgeous glitter effect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. New favorite project! New favorite project! You're constantly whipping out projects that instantly soar to my favorites list, but these are really cool! What a clever idea to re-purpose those Easter eggs! And I've said it before, you are the Queen of Glitter! Classy elegant glitter, of course. Really love these LOTS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous project, Michelle! Love the felt caps and the glittery effect. Super! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so clever Michelle!! Love the glitter and the felt pieces are wonderful. Beautiful project! I wish I could see it in real life.

    ReplyDelete